Follow by email

Sign up to receive this newsletter and get special low genealogy discounts sent to your email.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, November 12, 2018

A Brave Irishman of Kennesaw

James Alexander Reid, Brave Irishman of Kenmore

Kenwood"With the passing of Mr. J. A. Reid of Kenwood on February 15, 1937, we, the members of the Fayette County United Daughters of the Confederacy, were deeply saddened because he was the last veteran of the county who had fought in the War Between the States. Last year, Mr. Reid gave the following memoir of his war experience to be kept in the files of the chapter: I entered the war six months before I was sixteen, in response to a call made for volunteers between the ages of 16 to 45. I volunteered to go, was accepted and went first to Lovejoy, then to Savannah, where I joined the Siege Artillery. Our company made up at Thundebolt, and we left for Dalton, Georgia. From Dalton we marched to Franklin, Tennessee where we had a skirmish and won. From Franklin we went on to Nashville. I was in two battles. The Battles of Cheatham's Hill and the Battle of Kennesaw. During the Battle of Kennesaw there was a fellow named Tom Cook who was killed right beside me. I was not in the Battle of Atlanta. 



Index to Georgia Wills-See Names of your Ancestors

Online Genealogy

No comments:

Post a Comment